Tuesday, March 20, 2012

True Love pt.4


It's been so long since I posted an excerpt from Robert Fulgrum's True Love. Here's my 4th favorite love story. While here's the other 3, pt1 pt2 pt3

Actually, I haven't finish the book yet and that makes me such a loser, I know.  I only have like 30 pages left. I must finish this on Monday! Swear. Anywaaaaaaay.


          My mother is forty-five and I'm twenty-five. She and my dad met and married and had me while they were still in college, and as far as I know, they've had a good marriage and a good life.


          When she was going back to her twenty-fifth high school reunion a couple of years ago, she got out her high school yearbook and all her keepsakes from those years and showed them to me. I was amazed to see how much my mom and I looked alike at the same age. We went through the whole yearbook. When she came to one boy's picture, she began to cry.


          The boy's name was Benny, and she went steady with him for three years. They were madly in love, but her parents and his parents were against the relationship because he was Jewish and her parents were Baptists. Benny and my mom wanted to run away together or elope and get married or at least go to the same college. Their parents arranged things so they would go to colleges on the opposite side of the country. Benny and my mom tried to keep things going, but it didn't work. Mom fell in love with my dad, and Benny went to medical school and became a flight surgeon in the air force.


          They met again at the reunion. I don't know what happened. My mom didn't talk about how she felt about seeing him. But I did find out he wasn't married. About a year ago, my mom gave a dinner party and invited me to come and meet some old friends of hers from high school days. When I walked into the living room, I saw one of the most attractive men I've ever seen. Truly tall, dark and handsome. He was introduced to me as Dr. Benjamin --------.


          He was my mom's Benny. And it was love at first sight for him and me.


          To make a long story short, we had a wonderful romance. We kept it a secret at first. It seemed such a crazy thing. We even went to see a psychologist and a marriage counselor. I wanted to make sure it was really me he loved and not my mom. Finally, we decided to get married. We told his parents first, and they said it was fate. When we told mom, she cried and got hysterical and then she laughed. I think both she and my dad are relieved at the way things turned out.


          We got married two months ago. So far, so good. Only time will tell if we did the right thing, but that's true of any marriage. He may have been my mom's Benny once, but he's my Benny now.


-- S.F.G., Louisvillle, KY

The story's a little creepy but hey if it's true love then why not? :)


-Tinay xx

  

No comments:

Post a Comment