Monday, December 26, 2011

True Love pt.3


Keeping myself busy by reading Robert Fulgrum's book True Love.

Borrowed this book from She. Thank you for lending me! I promise to return this on the first day of classes. Sorry for the huge delay. :)


          This is really my mother's love story. I asked her to tell you, but she's too shy. It's too good not to pass on. It explains why me brother and I say we owe our existence to peanuts.


          When she graduated from high school my mother had everything going for her but one. She was pretty, smart, and came from a well-to-do family, but she was terminally shy, especially around men. Boys didn't like to take her out because she was so quiet. She went off to the small college her mother went to and to please her mother, she agreed to be rushed by her mother's sorority. At the first rush party, she sat out of sight at one end of a room, in a corner by a table that had snacks on it. She ate a lot of peanuts out of nervousness.


          She began to notice a waiter, who seemed to be as shy as she. He never said anything, but he was taking care of her. He kept her glass filled with nonalcoholic punch and he kept her peanut bowl full. From time to time their eyes met and they smiled at each other.


          When the dancing started and the party got rowdy, she walked into the kitchen and out the back door to escape. As she was going down the alley, she heard someone calling, "Wait, wait, please wait." It was the waiter, running down the alley after her with a paper bag in his hands. They stood in awkward silence, just smiling. Then he reached into the bag, pulled out a whole can of peanuts and offered them to her and said, "I only wish they were pearls."


          He ran back up the alley and into the sorority house.


          Well, one thing led to another.


          Twenty-five years later, on the silver wedding anniversary of my mother and the waiter (my father), he gave her a sterling silver jar marked "peanuts." She thought that was the gift and was really pleased. But there was more. When she lifted the lid, inside was a string of pearls.


          No gift ever pleased her more. She wore those pearls as her only jewelry for years. When my father was killed in a traffic accident, she put the silver peanut can in his coffin with him. I've never seen her wear the pearls since. I think I know where they are, but I'm too shy to ask.


-Marilyn, Tacoma, WA


Lovely isn't it? :'>


-Tinay xx


  

No comments:

Post a Comment